Pet License

City of Marengo Pet Licensing 

The City of Marengo requires all cats and dogs kept in city limits to be licensed yearly with the City. The charge for a pet license is $5 until February 1. At that time, a late fee of $5 is attached for every month a license is not purchased. 

A copy of your pet's rabies vaccination must be brought to City Hall to get your pet's license. Tags will not be given without a copy of the rabies vaccination papers. A copy can be made by city staff free of charge at the time of purchase.

License forms can be easily filled out at City Hall and generally take around three to five minutes per pet. A copy of the 2021 Pet License can be downloaded by clicking here.You can then fill out the form at home to speed up the process at City Hall. If filling out the pet licensing form at home, please print legibly so staff can easily read and process the form.  

Frequently Asked Questions about Pet Licensing

What kind of pets need to be licensed with the City?

Both cats and dogs need to be licensed. 

Why does Marengo have pet owners purchase tags?

Several times per week, police officers receive reports of animals on the loose.  The tag allows the officer or city staff to easily figure out who the owner of the pet is and how to contact them. 

What happens if the pet does not have a tag?

Fines for dogs or cats without a tag attached to its collar/harness, or with an expired tag, is $30.00.

Are there other common fines or penalties related to animals?

Dog at large fines are tiered and are as follows:

  • First offense = $30
  • Second offense = $50
  • Third and subsequent offenses = $100 each.

Owners of dogs that incessantly bark may receive a $30 ticket.

Failure to pick up dog poop on public property, like the park, may result in a $30 fine.

If your pet is loose and caught by an officer, it will be impounded. The city charges $15 per day with a minimum charge of one day. 

What do you mean by "impounded" and what do I need to do if my pet is impounded?

Impounding a pet means putting the animal in the pound or a cage until the owner comes to get it. To get pets out of impound, the owner must get their pet licensed, pay all associated fees with licensing, and supply the city with current rabies vaccination papers if they are not on file.

How can citizens get their pets licensed?

City Hall staff begins accepting pet tag information in October. The fee is $5 per pet. Both cats and dogs should be licensed. The hope is to have all pets licensed by January 1. An extra $5 is charged per month starting on February 1. Staff will accept applications printed from the city website and filled out at home if they are printed legibly. 

I brought my pet's rabies papers in last year. Why do I need to bring them in again?

The city does not keep copies of rabies vaccination papers for over one (1) year due to storage concerns. Prior to starting the yearly process, all of the previous year's vaccination records are destroyed. In addition, having citizen's bring their pet's papers in yearly has served as a reminder for some citizens to take their pet in to the veterinarian to update their vaccination. Staff is working on a solution to make this process more efficient for citizens and staff alike.